After a couple of UK trips away & off staying with family I think I have finally nailed the what to pack list so I wanted to share it with you for anyone who might need some help..
After the last 18 months it can be a really exciting time to finally go somewhere but I also found it a little overwhelming with the sheer amount of stuff you end up needing to take. Being prepared can go a long way to relieving some anxiety and making sure your trip is enjoyable for all!
I don’t want to scare anyone but I saw an awful story shared by someone who was stuck on the motorway due to an accident for hours & didn’t have anything packed for her baby – so since seeing this I always have the following in the car where ever we go:
Large glass bottle (or 2) of water
Emergency food/snacks (depending on age of child, but a few things that don’t need to be kept cool)
For longer journeys:
- Pouches (My Little Piccolo, Babese etc)
- Organix – rice cakes, oaty bars
- Kiddylicious veggie straws (great finger food snack that takes them a while to eat too)
- Jar of Nut butter
- Bananna, avocado etc
- A cool bag & frozen blocks are ideal if you have already made lunch or dinner
My rucksack which contains:
- Water cup
- Nappies, Wipes, Flannel
- First Aid Kit (from mini first aid, travel one)
- Spare pair of clothes (vest)
- Sun cream, Sun hat, Sun glasses
- Travel bottle of Vital baby hydyne sanitising water
- Cutlery (Doddl do a great travel one)
- Book, sticker book, current favourite toy etc
In Car Entertainment
This obviously changes with age but our current favourites that have also been ideal when I’ve driven on my own.
- Push pop bubble sensory toy (Amazon)
- First Words Flash card ring (It is from Jojo Maman Bebe)
- Activity books / Books
- Mega blocks
High chairs; you can get portable ones that will fix to the table or chair, we haven’t used them personally but friends have recommended. We had a Bumbo seat when we first started weaning but she grew out of it very quickly. We usually find most places you go to have them as they do take up so much boot space & aren’t very portable.
So what is usually in our boot..
- Travel cot (we have the Nuna one & it’s great, if your baby is older you might want to get a mattress to go on top, we also bring our own sheet so it smells familiar for her)
- Travel pram (look for one that folds top as compact as possible to help save space for everything else)
- Travel monitor, camera & monitor charger lead (don’t forget the lead I have made that mistake)
Black out blind
Sleep aids (bunny, shher etc – whatever you would use at sleepy time at home)
Clothes; Sleep suits, Long sleeve vests, short sleeved vests, hats, socks, shoes, jacket, hot & cold clothes especially if in England.
- Food (depending what stage your little one is at) Bib, Bowl, spoon, fork etc,
- Steriliser, bottles (if needed) snack food, bread, oat sachets, milk.
- Bath things; I bring our thermometer, bath mat, body wash, a toy, towel, tooth brush & paste.
- Baby lotion, nappy cream, vitamin d spray
- First Aid that I keep in my rucksack (Mini first aid)
- Toys, puzzle, a few of the favourites…
As Adam says I really do pack the kitchen sink but it saves any panicking & money that I don’t have something we need & we end up using everything I bring.
Hope this is a little helpful anyway.
Lots of love,